UCSF Surgical Simulation-Based Education Fellowship
The two-year fellowship program prepares motivated surgical simulation scholars and practitioners for leadership roles in academic surgical programs and to engage in surgical education scholarship. This will be accomplished by immersion in the UCSF Surgical Skills Center’s educational activities that include instruction and curricula development and research activities that include development of innovative simulation, studying the effect of teaching and learning in simulation with a particular emphasis on robotic surgery. In addition, the fellows will
- enroll in the Health Professions Education (HPE) Pathway to learn the methods for teaching strategies, curriculum development and learning theory.
- serve as teaching instructors in the Surgical Skills Center
- develop simulation curriculum
- undertake at least one research study
- enroll in a Masters of Art in Education through the UCSF/UC Berkeley collaboration
- collaborate research with Intuitive Surgical at Sunnyavle, CA
Fellows can take advantage of the strong education research expertise at UCSF.
- Completion of at least two years of a MD general surgery residency program in the United States
- Current CV
- One letter of support from the Chair of the Department or Program Director
- Personal statement describing interest in surgical simulation and education, defining career goals, plan to achieve these goals, and the anticipated impact from participating in the Fellowship Program
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send the noted documents via email to Hueylan Chern MD at Hueylan.Chern@ucsf.edu by August 31, 2022 for fellowship starting at July 1, 2023.
Apply Now↑ Return to Listings