Surgical House Officer
The Department of Surgery at St. John’s Episcopal Hospital is seeking Surgical House Officers.
As a complement to the surgical residency program, this position is ideal for former surgical residents seeking to enhance their clinical skills, and provides numerous academic opportunities as hosted by the residency program. This includes educational conferences, grand rounds presentations, and participation in the American Board of Surgery In-Training Exam (ABSITE). While not required by the position, officers are encouraged to make use of these resources as appropriate.
• History and physical examination of surgical patients at the request of attending surgeons.
• First and Second Assist duties in operative surgical cases.
• Assist in outpatient surgical clinics.
• Order and interpret appropriate laboratory and imaging studies.
• Council patients on procedures and post-operative care.
• Prescribe medication in compliance with both New York State and St John’s Episcopal Hospital guidelines.
• Conduct daily rounds on surgical patients.
• Write orders and progress notes.
• Evaluate and clarify surgical clinical conditions and relay information to attending surgeon as appropriate.
• Formulate and implement treatment plan for patients.
• Discharge planning and summary of patients at necessary stage of care.
How To Apply
Please Submit CV and Letter of Interest To:
Mr. Michael Pearsall
Surgical Residency Coordinator
Department of Surgery, CP503
St. John's Episcopal Hospital
327 Beach 19th Street
Far Rockaway, NY 11691
Apply Now↑ Return to Listings