Pediatric Surgery Clinical Research Fellow
John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital – Buffalo, NY
Clinical Call Required?: Yes
Clinical Call Requirements: Some evening and weekend
Program Length: 2 years
Location: Buffalo, NY
Program Director: David Rothstein, MD MS
Source of Support: Foundation Grants, Institutional Support
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital, is seeking individuals who are looking for a dedicated research experience in areas of Pediatric Surgery, including opportunities in basic science, translational and clinical research. The research fellow will participate in mentor-directed research and the educational activities within the department that include faculty, the Pediatric Surgery Fellow, general surgery residents and medical students. Research Fellows have some clinical exposure, including opportunities to operate and participate in the resident call schedule. Positions available for 2019 and 2020. Fellow will have access to robust hospital and university resources, a research coordinator, biostatistical support, a medical librarian, etc. Additional opportunities exist to take writing and statistics courses at the University at Buffalo. Program offers assistance to pay for travel to national conferences. Preferred to have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in general surgery and MUST be able to obtain a NYS medical license.
Research projects and opportunities focused on:
• Outcomes research using KID, PHIS, TQIP, NSQIP, SPARCS and other databases.
• Neonatal surgical procedure improvement.
• Patient risk analysis and prevention.
• Patient satisfaction improvement.
• Prenatal evaluation of high-risk gastroschisis
• Quality improvement in the care of patients with hepatobiliary motility disorders
• Childhood obesity.
• Lab research including operative bariatric procedures on rats.
• Basic science research regarding obesogenic genetics and pathology.
• Trauma research focused on regionalization of care, evaluation and treatment of burns, trauma triage, and case studies
• Wound care research focused on novel approaches to acute and chronic wounds
• 5 Pediatric Surgery attendings serve to answer questions and offer guidance.
• Serve as a mentor to junior residents and medical students.
Opportunity to gain experience in pediatric surgery and trauma care:
• Evening and weekend on-call with pediatric surgery team.
• Occasional operative experience.
Participation in department meetings including
• Weekly research meetings - collaborate with the team, brainstorm new ideas while working on current projects.
• Weekly academic teaching conferences.
How To Apply
Please contact David H. Rothstein, MD, MS for further information.
David H. Rothstein, MD, MS
Department of Pediatric Surgery
Oishei Children’s Hospital
Department of Surgery
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Conventus 3rd Floor
1001 Main St
Buffalo, NY 14202
Apply Now↑ Return to Listings