Robotic HPB Surgery Fellow
Position: Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary (HPB) Robotic Surgery Fellowship.
Requirements: This HPB Robotic Surgery Fellowship is offered to physicians who have completed an accredited General Surgery Residency Program AND an accredited fellowship, preferably HPB Surgery. SSO and ASTS fellows who have met the required case numbers for HPB certification will also be considered. Candidates must be board eligible or certified by the American Board of Surgery (ABS), the Royal College of Surgeons (RCS), or the European Board of Surgery (EBS). The fellow must be able to obtain a full North Carolina Medical License which requires a minimum of 3 years in an ACGME-accredited general surgery residency program.
Length of Training: This is a 12-month Fellowship. One fellow per year will be trained. Anticipated 150 index robotic HPB surgery procedures, including Whipples and major hemihepatectomies.
Structure: At the beginning of this 12-month HPB Robotic Surgery Fellowship, the fellow will choose one of two pathways to pursue:
1. Pure Clinical
2. Clinical and Research
At the conclusion of the Fellowship, the fellow will be able to:
1. Perform robotically HPB-relevant operative procedures, including 20 designated index procedures.
2. Provide state-of-the-art postoperative care for patients who undergo HPB Robotic Surgery procedures.
3. Counsel referring colleagues on HPB Robotic Surgery.
4. Act in a multidisciplinary environment.
5. Recognize and acquire emerging knowledge regarding HPB Robotic Surgery.
6. Conceive, realize, present and publish research projects regarding HPB Robotic Surgery.
7. Develop and support institutional programs related to HPB Robotic Surgery professional and societal policies.
How To Apply
Candidates must be a current fellow or have completed one of the following fellowship programs:
- HPB Surgery
- Surgical Oncology (must have minimum HPB case numbers)
- Transplant/HPB (must have minimum HPB case numbers)
Materials to be submitted:
1. Letter of recommendation from fellowship program director plus contact information
2. Two additional current letters (within the past two years)
3. Updated CV
4. Breakdown of the following index cases:
- Whipple (open and laparoscopic)
- Distal Pancreatectomy (open and laparoscopic)
- Major Hepatectomy (open and laparoscopic)
- Biliary Tree Reconstruction (open and laparoscopic)
- Total number of robotic HPB cases performed within the fellowship
- Total number of robotic HPB cases performed during residency
Send all materials to Suzie Smeaton as below.
Apply Now↑ Return to Listings