Chair of Surgical Services & Program Director for General Surgery Residency
Valley Health SystemDate Posted: February 1, 2023
Chair, Surgical Services & General Surgery Program Director for Valley Health System, Paramus, NJ
VALLEY HEALTH SYSTEM, INC is one of the largest and most honored healthcare providers in New Jersey. Newsweek has recognized us as one of the world’s 1,000 best hospitals and one of the 250 best hospitals in the United States. The Valley Health System is a High-Reliability Organization dedicated to safety, quality, and satisfaction, ensuring an outstanding patient and community experience. It is the parent corporation for The Valley Hospital, The Valley Hospital Foundation, Valley Home Care, Valley Medical Group, ColigoCare, and Valley Research Institute. Prestigious alliances with Cleveland Clinic’s Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute and the Mount Sinai Health System mean our doctors collaborate with the top physician leaders in medicine today.
The Valley Medical Group is part of the Valley Health System. Valley Medical Group (VMG) is a multispecialty group practice comprised of physicians and advanced practice providers representing more than 50 medical and surgical specialties. VMG brings together experts in primary care, pediatrics, oncology, cardiology, obstetrics & gynecology, and various medical and surgical specialties. VMG believes the relationships between its doctors and providers are central to success. Valley Medical Group (VMG) has 1,159 employees, including nearly 350 physicians and over 150 advanced practice practitioners representing more than 50 medical and surgical specialties. Formed under the auspices of Valley Health System, VMG employs physicians based at the main Hospital, The Luckow Pavilion, primary and walk-in care centers, and about 48 locations and 92 practices throughout communities served by Valley in both New Jersey and New York.
The Valley Hospital is one of the busiest hospitals with 431 beds, approximately 46,000 admissions annually, over 70,000 patients treated in the Emergency Department, and over 3,500 babies born. Valley has over 3,000 volunteers, is not unionized, and with 5,500 employees, is one of the largest employers in Bergen County. The Hospital’s primary service area includes 32 towns in northwestern Bergen County, home to over 460,000 people, and it has expanded its footprint well beyond that area. The construction of The New Valley Hospital, due to be completed in late 2023, will be a 900,000-square-foot state-of-the-art healthcare destination site on a 40-acre campus in Paramus.
Chair of Surgical Services and General Surgery Residency Program Director, the Doctor will oversee and grow Valley Medical Group’s Surgical Service Line and General Surgery Residency Program. The Doctor will collaborate with VMG leadership to ensure safe clinical service delivery, including clinical cost management, utilization, quality assurance, evidence-based medicine initiatives, medical protocol development, HER implementation, and system-based practice initiatives. The Doctor will develop and implement a strategic plan for Surgical services concordant with that of the Medical Group and the Hospital. The Surgical services for which the Doctor has oversight may be amended by VMG Administration but shall initially include the following: General Surgery, Colorectal Surgery, Ophthalmology, Urology, Podiatry, Bariatric, and Endocrine Surgery. As the founding Program Director, the Doctor will be responsible for the overall development and running of the General Surgery Residency Program in compliance with the ACGME accreditation standards. The Doctor shall spend 40% of time performing administrative responsibilities as Chair Surgical Services, 20% of time performing Program Director General Surgery Residency responsibilities, and 40% of time performing the following clinical responsibilities.
• A degree in Medicine or Osteopathy is required. Master’s degree in business, health services management or public health preferred. An unrestricted license to practice medicine in New Jersey is required.
• Board Certification in General Surgery or one of the subspecialties recognized by the American College of Surgeons.
• A minimum of 8-10 years experience in clinical practice. Strong leadership, management, analytical, and collaboration skills.
• Prior experience as a Program Director or Associate Director is preferred.
• Must have a minimum of 3 years of experience in Graduate Medical Education.
• Maintains CME credit hours as required for Board Certification and/or hospital staff privileges.
• Maintains up-to-date credentials, including CV, License, DEA, CDS, Board Certification, and documentation of Hospital admitting privileges.
• Proven relationship-building skills with physicians as well as with all other key stakeholders.
• Possess strong administrative and team-building skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Skilled in problem resolution and strong analytical abilities.
• Ability to build trust and confidence with the utmost integrity.
• Ability to lead change and build consensus to support change.
• Solid clinical and clinical data-related analytical skills.
• Ability to serve as a role model for collegiality and collaboration across the organization.
• Industry-leading competitive salary
• PTO, 401(K),457(b), health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance offered
• Paid malpractice, CME time, and allowance
• Relocation assistance is available
• Ranks top #20 places to live in NJ
• A few great places to live – Ridgewood, Glen Rock, Fair Lawn, Paramus, Rochelle Park, Saddle Brook, Teaneck, and many more
• 20 miles to New York City
• Nearby beaches, mountains, lakes, and rivers for hiking, kayaking, and fishing
• 4 major airports in the region
• Excellent Private and Public Schools
• Low crime area
Valley is committed to maintaining a diverse workforce and sustaining a respectful, equitable, and inclusive environment. If you’re interested in a career in which your expertise and collaboration are paramount to the success of an organization, join us!
How To Apply
Valley is committed to maintaining a diverse workforce and sustaining a respectful, equitable, and inclusive environment. If you’re interested in a career in which your expertise and collaboration are paramount to the success of an organization, join us! To discuss further, please reach out to:
Dr. Reham Shaaban, Designated Institutional Officer, at shaare@Valleyhealth.com or call 201-251-3253
Soumya Kolar, Manager of Physician Recruitment, at skolar@Valleyhealth.com or call 201-251- 3388