Chair – Tom Broughan, M.D.
University of Oklahoma
- Tom Whalen, M.D., Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center
- Cynthia Graves, M.D., West Virginia University
- Joe Jensen, M.D., University of Arkansas
- Rick Thirlby, M.D., Virginia Mason Medical Center
- Jacqueline Osland, M.D., University of Kansas, Wichita
Charge to the Issues Committee
- Examine the issue of the increasing or decreasing attractiveness of a career in general surgery amongst medical students.
- Examine ways to obtain ethical sources of funding for surgical education.
- Examine the issue of accreditation for residency program directors.
- Investigate ways general surgery programs can train their residents to encourage them to go into rural general surgery.
- Investigate the impact of newer technology on general surgical training programs.
- Understand the role of early specialization for general surgery residents in their training.
- Compose the committee of a mixture of university, hybrid, community programs.